In the summer of 2017, I headed to Summer Camp in the USA for the first time. During staff training, I was shown a Ted Talk by educator Rita Pierson. In two years that have followed, the words spoken in this talk have stayed with me and reminded me of the importance of human connection. In some ways, this blog post is a way of connecting with others, a form of connection. I wanted to share this talk with others and make a note of why it had such an impact on me.
The words I have used in the title above are words that everyone should feel able to say. As a university student, the workload I face can be daunting, overwhelming and I can feel as though it is impossible to complete. The words spoken by Rita Pierson ('I am somebody, I was somebody when I came, I'll be a better somebody when I leave') inspire me to continue with my studies and to push myself harder than I thought I could in the hardest moments. They remind me that I have the opportunity to be in control of my future and that I can do whatever I set my mind to.
Pierson discusses the importance of human connection, of how our words have more power than we believe, and how we, as educators in particular, have the opportunity to guide and shape the world of those around us. The message is simple - our words and actions have the power to do good. Focusing on letting our words and actions make positive change is vital in todays world. The talk inspired me as a staff member at camp, as an educator in training and most of all, as an individual to make change.
After all, we have the choice to use our words and actions to build each other up or to tear each other down. Surely building bridges is kinder than burning them?
Until next time,
Luce x
No comments:
Post a Comment